Afterschool Matters is a peer-reviewed journal dedicated to promoting professionalism, scholarship, and consciousness in afterschool education. Published by the National Institute on Out-of-School-Time (NIOST) with legacy support from the Robert Bowne Foundation, Afterschool Matters serves practitioners who work with youth in out-of-school time (OST) programs, as well as researchers and policymakers in youth development.
The Fall 2019 issue will focus on creative youth development. CYD is a new term for a longstanding theory of practice that integrates creative skill-building, inquiry, and expression with positive youth development principles, fueling young people’s imaginations and building critical learning and life skills. See www.creativeyouthdevelopment.org.
Suggested topics for papers include:
- Descriptions, research, and analyses of OST programs and initiatives that use CYD to support learning
- Cultivation of creativity, social and emotional competencies, or leadership skills among CYD program participants
- Key aspects that define the CYD framework
- The role of teaching artists in CYD programs; innovative practices of teaching artists
- How CYD programs engage in holistic approaches and trauma-informed practice
- Family engagement in CYD programs
Click here for more info on submission.
Published: November 30, 2018