About Our Organization
The Royal Conservatory of Music is one of the largest and most respected music education institutions in the world. The RCM’s mission is to develop human potential through leadership music and the arts. Advancing the transformative effect that music and the arts have on society lies at the heart of everything we do. The RCM’s history of excellence spans 133 years. More than five million alumni of The RCM have enjoyed and applied the many benefits of music study in many fields of endeavor including medicine, business, politics, law and justice, science and sports. International music acclaim has come to Glenn Gould, Oscar Peterson, Diana Krall, David Foster, k.d. lang, Sir Roger Norrington, John Vickers and many others.
Today, The RCM’s system of music education is used by over 30,000 teachers who support and teach over 500,000 students across North America. Designed by over a hundred of the leading teachers in North America, The RCM Certificate ProgramTM is recognized globally as a comprehensive and effective system of music study and assessment. The Program includes an integrated curriculum for 22 instruments and voice, resting on the three pillars of:
- repertoire from classical to contemporary;
- musicianship skills encompassing technique, ear training and testing, sight reading, theory and history; and
- individual assessments, delivered by one of over 350 accredited and distinguished examiners, which allow students, parents and teachers to set goals, track progress and celebrate accomplishments.
The system is supported by 229 publications and a growing suite of digital learning products. The introduction of digital learning increases the efficacy of the system, presents the opportunity to ensure that the program remains relevant to evolving teaching practices and is attractive to younger teachers who are entering the profession.
This purpose of this position is to recruit, inculcate and retain the adoption and use of The Royal Conservatory’s system of music education, principally by independent teachers and schools of music.
The incumbent holds as a life value that education in music and the arts is essential to the realization of human potential and that the arts are an indispensable and a critical path leading to social cohesion. The incumbent’s passion around these beliefs and about the excellence of The Royal Conservatory’s system, including the essential requirement for periodic assessment, are prerequisites for success in this position.
The incumbent will have a demonstrated expertise in both the pedagogical and business issues facing the independent music teacher and music school. The incumbent will have a thorough knowledge of music education and pedagogy; and a thorough understanding of the factors that are critical to establishing and operating sustainable music schools and teaching studios including student recruitment, student retention and student and parent relations. This will enable the incumbent to communicate effectively how The RCM is the single source for all resources that are needed to succeed and improve as a music educator.
- Manage and supervise the activities of regional representatives located in key North American markets. This includes planning engagement cultivation activities and follow-up actions.
- Work closely with Vice President, Marketing to ensure the definition of effective marketing plans and activities.
- Work closely with VP Digital Learning and Academic Office to develop professional development programs for teachers with appropriate emphasis on the RCM system.
- Prepare annual activity plans, targets for teacher and school adoptions, student enrollment and examination candidates.
- Control costs to agreed budget.
- Develop and execute plans to engage and leverage state and provincial teacher associations.
- Develop and execute strategies to optimize attendance and activities at various teacher, school and related conferences.
- Graduate degree in music.
- Experience as a teacher or instructor.
- Proven entrepreneurial skills (rather than corporate management culture)
How to Apply
If you are interested in exploring this opportunity further, please contact Arwa Nasrallah (Consultant) at email@example.com.