About Our Organization
Creative Action is a nationally-recognized youth arts education organization in Austin, Texas. As the largest provider of creative learning programs in Central Texas, we use the arts to activate the academic, social and emotional development of young people. Through interactive classroom performances, after school residencies, and community-based programs, our team of professional teaching artists inspire youth to be creative artists, courageous allies, critical thinkers, and confident leaders in their communities.
We’re looking for a highly motivated, collaborative and proactive person who can inspire and cultivate leaders. This position requires someone who has a growth mindset, uses a strengths-based approach to their work, and values experience and passion as a critical part of creatively working with young people. Applicants should have a can-do attitude, flexibility, excellent organization and interpersonal skills, and the ability to interact with diverse staff at all levels. We want someone who is solutions-oriented, a creative problem solver, finds opportunities to have fun at work, and believes that all people deserve equal opportunities and are valued for their unique life experience.
The Senior Director of Out of School Time Programs leads the Out of School Time Department and will work closely with the Chief Program Officer. This person drives the vision and quality of all out of school time (OST) programs through team leadership, program development, resource management, and evaluation. Creative Action’s OST program reaches 45 sites weekly with a team of 125+ Teaching Artists delivering more than 45,000 hours of arts-based enrichment each year. The Senior Director of OST Programs leads a team of 20 full time staff and collaborates with other cross-departmental team members to ensure access, equity, and quality across OST programs.
Strategic Vision & Leadership
- Lead a large and diverse team of full time staff who manage program sites, deliver programming, and coach teaching artists
- Provide strategic leadership for company goals and program development
- Drive the implementation of departmental goals and strategies
- Contribute to the vision and execution of annual events
- Engage with community stakeholders and networks
- Participate in Creative Action’s social justice efforts toward anti-racism and inclusive practices
Quality & Evaluation
- Ensure program quality and sustainability for all after school and summer programs and camps
- Develop and facilitate training for full time and part-time staff
- Provide critical support to the recruitment and retention of part-time staff
- Contribute to grant writing, reporting, and other fundraising activities
- Implement program assessment and evaluation in support of a continuous program improvement cycle and professional learning community
Operations & Oversight
- Supervise and mentor OST Program Directors
- Create, revise, and approve new and existing programs, curricula, and processes
- Coordinate and collaborate with school and community partners to determine program locations and deliverables
- Generate summer program offerings and oversee scheduling and staffing
- Ensure system processes and tools enable smooth program operations
- Manage departmental contracts and budget
- Demonstrated understanding of best practices in after school and summer programs
- Minimum 4 years of experience managing a team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Exceptional organizational and planning skills
- Demonstrated high professional standards, initiative, and integrity
- Must be able to balance working independently and being a team player
- Familiarity with data collection systems, evaluation and/or assessment tools, and using data to inform decision-making and communicate impact
- Proficiency with Word and Google suite and an aptitude for learning new technology and systems
- Ability to prioritize and navigate workload in response to departmental needs
- Transportation essential — frequent travel to program locations and community meetings
- Some travel (in and out of state) required
- Occasional night and weekend work required
How to Apply
Competitive salary, health insurance, life insurance, long-term disability, a discounted gym membership, and an employee assistance program. We also offer paid time off and a fun and flexible work environment.
Creative Action is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and equity in the workplace. We strongly encourage those who reflect the communities we serve to apply, including bilingual individuals and/or people of color.
Take some time to familiarize yourself with our organization, what we do, and what we believe in. Then, if this seems like a community you’d like to be a part of, please email your resume and a thoughtful cover letter (required) with salary requirements to Karen LaShelle at email@example.com. Posting will remain open until filled.