About Our Organization
Founded in 1977, Childsplay is a nationally and internationally respected professional theatre company whose chosen audience is children. At Childsplay we believe that young people deserve to experience challenging, thought-provoking theatre of the highest artistic quality. Our respect for children’s intelligence and creativity drives us to produce new and innovative works by theatre’s finest artists. Equally, our understanding of the challenges facing Arizona’s classroom teachers leads us to offer arts education resources in 40 communities annually. In the past 36 years, we have educated and inspired more than four million young people and families. We have grown to serve an average annual audience of 200,000 students, teachers, and families.
Do you want to feel like you are a part of something exciting? Childsplay seeks a proactive, creative, outgoing individual to join our team to sell, market, and book performances with schools and teachers. Childsplay is Arizona’s Professional Theatre for Young Audiences serving young people, teachers, and their families through theatre in the classroom and on stage. The core of Childsplay’s operations is its robust school performance programs, including field trip and tour performances that reach 200,000 children every year. These performances happen daily throughout the school year, both in theatres and directly in schools.
The School Relationship and Booking Coordinator will be in charge of developing relationships with school and community partners, working with the marketing department to create and implement marketing plans to reach schools, and directly selling and booking school groups into Childsplay’s field trip and tour performances. The School Relationship and Booking Coordinator is the first point of contact for many teachers to engage with Childsplay – accordingly we are looking for a passionate, enthusiastic representative of our programming.
This role is part of an ensemble that celebrates learning and creativity, encourages innovation, and provides multiple opportunities for professional growth. The work at Childsplay is fast, furious and extremely rewarding. We offer a terrific family environment and the fulfillment of working for a company with a mission to improve the lives of young people through the arts.
This full time position will be a part of the Education team, working closely with the Marketing and Production teams to ensure that schools have the best possible arts experience.
- Sell and schedule performance programs to schools
- Work with the Education Team and Marketing to develop engagement strategies for school performance sales.
- Implement and manage sales and marketing plans for field trip and tour performances
- Develop and steward relationships with districts, schools, and teachers
- Provide exemplary customer service experiences for all teachers and school representatives who interact with Childsplay
- Work with the Education team to increase the list of schools that engage with Childsplay
- Work within a collaborative team environment to achieve sales goals
- Understand and maintain a working knowledge of AZCCRS and develop strategies for sharing this information with teachers to enhance their application with theatre and performance experiences
- Stay current with Arizona’s education environment, and how it could impact student attendance and participation in the arts.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Experience in sales or marketing (additional experience in the field of education or theatre preferred)
- Experience in managing budgets and meeting goals
- Comfort with talking on the phone, reaching out to potential patrons in a variety of ways, and addressing customer service issues
- A passion for education, theatre, and Childsplay’s mission as well as a healthy sense of humor
- An understanding of schools, teachers, and the current Arizona education landscape
- Strong technology skills and comfort learning new technology systems
- Previous experience with CRM/database systems, SalesForce or PatronManager preferred
- BA degree in a related discipline e.g. non-profit management, business, education, theatre, marketing, OR equivalent combination of education and experience
- A car, a valid driver’s license and willingness to travel to schools around the Phoenix area
You’ll Be A Great Fit if:
- You multi-task with flair!
- You are comfortable speaking in public and mingling with teachers and children
- You stay cool under pressure
- Talking to people about theatre, education, and their impact on young people makes your day
- You’re self-motivated. When given an idea or a framework you are comfortable taking ownership.
- You are goal oriented
- If you thrive in collaborative environments
- You can find fulfillment in the small parts and the big projects of your job
- You’re always learning. The only thing you know for certain is that you don’t know it all and relish the prospect of being a part of a learning organization.
This is a full-time non-exempt position of 35 hours per week. Salary is $35,000/annually including benefits. Childsplay has a casual office environment and dress code, and unlimited opportunities to develop creative and groundbreaking arts education strategies.
Childsplay values equity, diversity, and inclusion throughout our organization, programs and audiences. We are committed to giving underrepresented artists a safe space to create art and community. By welcoming people with differences in religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, class, gender identity, ability, and age we are better able to celebrate that which brings humankind together: imagination and wonder.
Due to our work in the schools and with young people, all serious candidates must submit to finger printing and a background criminal check.
How to Apply
Applicants are expected to submit a cover letter detailing why you think you’re the best fit with Childsplay and this position along with a resume and two or three professional references. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled with a first review on January 10, 2019.
Please send email submissions with the subject line: Application – School Relationship and Booking Coordinator to Korbi Adams, Director of Education and School Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls please, we will contact candidates whose skill sets, education and experience meets the requirements for the job. Please visit our website at www.childsplayaz.org for additional company information.
Founded in 1977, Childsplay’s mission is to create theatre so strikingly original in form, content or both, that it instills in young people an enduring awe, love and respect for the medium, thus preserving imagination and wonder, those hallmarks of childhood that are keys to the future.