About Our Organization
Raw Art Works (RAW) was founded in 1988 with a group of passionate art therapists who shared the belief that good things happen when kids feel they are a vital part of a creative community that truly cares. Youth at RAW are welcomed into a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment the moment they step through the door. Through the use of the arts, youth are given the tools to process what is really going on in their lives, giving them the opportunity to create in unexpected ways, and envision new possibilities for their future. Many of the youth rely on the trusted relationships they build at RAW to help navigate the complexities of their lives.
RAW’s mission is to ignite the desire to create and confidence to succeed in underserved youth. As a youth development arts organization rooted in art therapy, over 400 youth, ages 7-19, participate in after-school and summer visual and expressive arts groups, digital film school classes, leadership development opportunities, and college and career access programming. When youth attend programming at RAW they are seen and heard through a refined blend of art and therapy. An orientation to trauma-informed care provides a grounding to the work with many of RAW’s youth who have experienced undue stress in particularly challenging environments.
RAW creates endless opportunities for youth to build meaningful relationships with their peers and RAW staff. They are given a safe environment to express themselves to a community that feels like home and they come to recognize the strengths within themselves. The skills learned at RAW support youth as they transition into adulthood, and the passion and purpose they find here are the turning point in a making change in their lives and communities.
RAW is seeking a dynamic and entrepreneurial leader to build upon a solid foundation of creative youth development programming with an eye towards community impact. Working in collaboration with the Executive Director and other core members of the leadership team, the Program Director will be responsible for the strategy, delivery, and performance of current RAW programs. The Program Director will also explore new opportunities and partnerships within the Lynn community for potential growth with other youth development and/or arts organizations.
The Program Director will be responsible for overseeing a high-performing team and ensuring the continuation of the high quality of work that the program team produces. In addition, the Program Director will be an organizational leader and culture contributor internally at RAW, as well as representing the organization externally as a strong brand ambassador within the city of Lynn, MA.
With a commitment to diversity, inclusion, equity, and access, the Program Director will embrace the importance of these initiatives throughout the organization. Resourceful and collaborative, the Program Director will be people-oriented, with a sense of urgency in addressing the critical needs of the children, teens, and their families that RAW serves. The Director will bring a growth mindset with an eye on how RAW can have a greater impact in the lives of the young people RAW serves.
In addition, the Program Director will be comfortable participating in and facilitating conversations with a socially conscious and active staff and youth participants.
The ideal candidate will have the following professional and personal qualities, skills, and characteristics:
Strategic Organizational Leadership
- Develop and implement strategies, initiatives and processes that will maximize the synergies among program areas in support of RAW’s strategic plan
- Support RAW in developing strategies to ensure growth of programs and services that achieve each department’s strategic planning goals and align with RAW’s mission and values
- Perform annual review of program evaluation process, compile and analyze evaluation findings with staff, and provide recommendations and action plans to adjust program goals and design as necessary
- Effectively communicate strategy, results, challenges, etc. to the leadership team and Board of Directors as requested
- Serve as a member of and bring impact stories to the leadership team that inform funder communications and support the organization-wide culture of philanthropy
- Assure program outcomes are achieving mission, vision and intent and that a rigorous method of continuous improvement is active across all programs
- Make high level organizational decisions and establish clear and effective communication at the leadership level and throughout the programming team
- Promote clear expectations for accurate and timely data collection by program team, oversee data collection, and utilize data to analyze key drivers and barriers to program progress and performance
- With support from the program team, oversee youth application, placement, and waitlist process, including specialized placement-related communication with families, especially for students with special needs
- Honor RAW’s culture of consistent, direct, and honest feedback through staff performance management as well as setting performance goals and providing timely feedback
- The ability to organize and motivate others to accomplish goals while tactfully and sensitively addressing the needs of the programming team
- Provide leadership development, mentoring, capacity building, and other opportunities that support the professional development plans of team members
- Attract, develop and retain high performing team members, empowering them to elevate their level of responsibility with an eye towards achieving the organization’s strategic goals
- Provide an entrepreneurial approach to expanding and deepening new and existing partnerships and represent RAW in the larger Lynn, MA nonprofit community
- Build effective collaborations and partnerships with peers and other stakeholders to advance RAW’s program priorities and represent RAW to a variety of external audiences, such as other youth-serving and/or youth arts organizations
In addition, strong candidates will offer:
- Strong commitment to RAW’s mission, vision, values and strategic plan, and to working collaboratively with a management team of senior professionals
- Significant knowledge and experience with youth development, program development required, exposure in or experience with the art therapy or in a clinical setting preferred
- High level of emotional intelligence (self-awareness, empathy, and social skills)
- Strategic thinker with the ability to take a long-term, thoughtful approach to achieving organizational goals
- Demonstrated leadership, coaching, and relationship management experience
- Successful track record in team leadership and inspiring a mission-driven team to achieve results
- Demonstrated track record in developing, cultivating, and maintaining effective partnerships and relationships
- BA required
Job Qualifications & Requirements
Compensation & Benefits
RAW provides a competitive salary and benefits, including paid time off, health care contribution, short- and long-term disability coverage, and term life insurance.
Raw Art Works is an equal opportunity employer that welcomes any qualified applicant and values diversity of all kinds.
About Koya Leadership Partners
Koya Leadership Partners, a member of the Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.
How to Apply
Koya Leadership Partners, the executive search firm that specializes in mission-driven search, has been exclusively retained for this engagement. Alicia Salerno and Cassie Scarano are leading this search. To make recommendations or to express your interest in this role please visit this link here. All nominations, inquiries, and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.