About Our Organization
Merit School of Music is a nationally accredited music school located in Chicago’s West Loop. Our primary goals are to help young people transform their lives and experience personal growth through music by providing access to participation. For more than 40 years, we have been home to a diverse community of talented young musicians and have acted as a springboard for achieving full musical and personal potential. Our 125 passionate and experienced teaching artists provide access to high-quality music education, engaging over 3,000 students annually at our downtown location and in area schools and community centers.
Merit students, who reflect the socioeconomic and ethnic diversity of Chicago, have the rare opportunity to learn together, dream together, teach each other, and broaden their horizons as they build inspiring lives through music. Merit develops musicians and provides young people with the tools they need to excel in life, with virtually 100 percent of our graduates going on to conservatory or college.
Merit School of Music is seeking a full-time Marketing Coordinator. The right candidate will be excited to build skills in many marketing areas, including campaign management, content creation, digital advertising, event coordination, and graphic design. We're looking for a creative problem solver who collaborates well with cross-functional teams. A love of music (of any genre) and passion for inclusion, diversity, equity, and anti-racism is a must!
Responsibilities of the Marketing Coordinator include, but are not limited to:
General Branding and Communications – approx. 40%
• Create storytelling and educational content to engage Merit’s target audience, improve SEO, and increase brand awareness
• Design and implement social media strategy to increase reach and convert followers to students/donors
• Write and design communications content, including email newsletters, blogs, and e-books
• Collaborate with Merit faculty, staff, alums, and families to tell impactful stories and support cross-departmental goals
• Coordinate with third-party vendors, such as photographers, graphic designers, and artists
• Track, analyze, and continuously improve upon respective marketing activities
Student Recruitment – approx. 40%
• Support the marketing goal of increasing registrations for virtual and in-person classes and private lessons
• Develop multi-channel recruitment campaigns, including content, graphics, website, email, digital and traditional advertising, direct mail, and social media
• Write and design recruitment content, including website content and brochures
• Work with the Student Services and Program departments to continuously improve customer experience and parent satisfaction/retention
Fundraising Support – approx. 20%
• Support marketing goal to increase individual and corporate donations
• Coordinate with the development teams on multi-channel fundraising campaigns
• Promote Merit fundraising events and serve as onsite event staff as necessary
Job Qualifications & Requirements
The ideal candidate would possess the following qualifications:
• Bachelor's degree in marketing/other relevant field and/or 2+ years' experience in marketing/other relevant fields
• Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills
• Experience with at least some of the following: Adobe Creative Cloud, Canva, or other graphic design tools; Constant Contact or other email marketing software; WordPress or other CMS; and/or social media marketing tools
• Willingness to learn new skills and seek out relevant educational resources/opportunities
• Flexible schedule to attend evening and weekend events/concerts as necessary (events/concerts are currently 100% virtual; in-person attendance will not resume until it is safe to do so in line with state and city metrics)
Merit offers a comprehensive employee benefits package, including the following items:
• Salary range of $40K - $45K based on experience.
• Full-time, exempt position, working 37.5 hours per week.
• Your first 90 days of employment are considered a probationary period. You will be eligible to participate in Merit's employee benefits package 30 days from your hire date following the first of the month. We offer a robust healthcare package including medical (HMO & PPO options), dental (HMO & PPO), vision care, and voluntary life insurance coverage.
• Paid time off (PTO) with annual increases and seven paid holidays in addition to a winter break (approximately one week).
• Following one year of employment, you will be eligible to invest in Merit's 401(k) plan, including a 3% safe-harbor contribution made by Merit.
Further information on Merit's benefits package and employee policies are available upon request.
Merit School of Music is committed to enhancing the diversity of our musical community, recognizing that by providing a diverse, equitable, and inclusive learning environment for our students, we are preparing them for personal and professional success in an increasingly multicultural and global society. The Merit community recognizes that it has a responsibility for creating and sustaining a learning and working environment where difference is valued, and where equity and inclusion are practiced.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should send their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Materials should be compatible with Microsoft Word or Adobe Acrobat. Applicants will receive confirmation of receipt of their materials and further guidance and updates about the hiring process by email, with interviews provided for finalists.
For more information about Merit School of Music, please contact the HR email listed above or visit www.meritmusic.org.