About Our Organization
Minnesota Conservatory for the Arts (MCA) is a nonprofit organization that exists to provide quality performance and arts education in music, theatre, dance and visual arts by nurturing and encouraging artistic expression in children and adults. MCA began in 1973 in a one-room dance studio under the direction of Stefannié Valéncia Kierlin as The Ballet School and has blossomed into a full-service community arts school, becoming an affiliate program of Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota School of the Arts in 2003.
MCA’s mission is to make the arts accessible to all residents of Southeastern Minnesota regardless of ability, age, race, gender, religious affiliation, or economic background, with a special focus on programs for youth. MCA fulfills this mission by leveraging community connections with local organizations and through regular arts’ education programming in performing and visual arts at the Valencia Arts Center, MCA’s home, online, and throughout the community.
Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota is seeking a Managing Director for the Minnesota Conservatory for the Arts (MCA). MCA exists to provide quality arts education and performance by nurturing and encouraging artistic expression in children and adults. Our service to the community ranges from recreational to pre-professional dance and performing arts curriculum and programming designed to provide physical and aesthetic benefits, heightened self-respect, discipline, and confidence.
The Managing Director will conduct long- and short-term strategic planning for the school’s mission, core values, curriculum development, and public image. This position will also have oversight of the MCA’s daily operations.
Job responsibilities include:
- Management of school’s budget
- Grant writing and reporting
- Update and maintain school’s website
- Creation of publicity including press releases, class catalogs, brochures, production programs/play bills, etc.
- Coordination of fundraising, benefits, community outreach events, and partnerships with community groups and local schools
- Management of guest artist contracts, faculty contracts, payroll, and performance evaluations for adjunct faculty and office staff
- Supervise director of dance, adjunct faculty, and administrative assistant
- Oversight of daily operations including course registrations, scholarship requests, written communication, personal interaction with students and parents, etc.
- Facilities coordination including preparation of rental contracts, scheduling of facilities, arranging technical support, etc.
- Work with Department of Fine and Performing Arts on collaborative projects
- Production coordination for the school’s Music division concerts
- Oversight of all summer boarding and day camps
- Coordination and leadership of staff team meetings
Job Qualifications & Requirements
Essential Skills and Abilities
The Managing Director must possess strong leadership, multi-tasking, communication and interpersonal skills in order to fully execute the mission of the Minnesota Conservatory for the Arts.
The successful candidate must support, respect, and advance the mission of Saint Mary's University as a Lasallian Catholic institution.
Education and Experience
Bachelor of Arts degree or higher required in the area of arts administration, public relations, non-profit business administration, or related fields. Experience working for a youth organization and experience in the performing arts preferred.
All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Additional Required Materials: Cover letter, CV/resume, and contact information for three professional references.
How to Apply
Contact: Ned Kirk, D.M.A.
Contact Email: email@example.com
We encourage members of the protected classes as defined by the federal, state, and municipal law and those persons attracted to a university with a Lasallian Catholic identity to apply.