About Our Organization
Raw Art Works (RAW) was founded in 1988 with a group of passionate art therapists who shared the belief that good things happen when kids feel they are a vital part of a creative community that truly cares. Youth at RAW are welcomed into a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment the moment they step through the door. Through the use of the arts, youth are given the tools to process what is really going on in their lives, giving them the opportunity to create in unexpected ways, and envision new possibilities for their future. Many of the youth rely on the trusted relationships they build at RAW to help navigate the complexities of their lives.
RAW’s mission is to ignite the desire to create and confidence to succeed in underserved youth. As a youth development arts organization rooted in art therapy, over 300 youth, ages 8-19, participate in after-school and summer visual and expressive arts groups, digital film school classes, leadership development opportunities, and college and career access programming. When youth attend programming at RAW, they are seen and heard through a refined blend of art and therapy. An orientation to trauma-informed care provides a grounding to the work with many of RAW’s youth who have experienced undue stress in particularly challenging environments.
RAW creates endless opportunities for youth to build meaningful relationships with their peers and RAW staff. They are given a safe environment to express themselves within a community that feels like home and they come to recognize the strengths within themselves. The skills learned at RAW support youth as they transition into adulthood, and the passion and purpose they find here often catalyze direction and decisions in their lives, and the ability to make change in their communities. Staff at RAW work in an organization that has helped to lead the creative youth development movement since its inception, and is recognized and respected for its program impact at a national level.
For more information on Raw Art Works, please read more on our website.
Raw Art Works is seeking an outstanding Expressive Art Therapist to join the team.
The Expressive Art Therapist will lead and facilitate weekly visual and expressive arts groups for youth ages 8-19. The therapist will lead the planning, promotion, delivery and evaluation of visual arts programming in order to provide youth with unique opportunities to create art that allows them to be seen and heard. Reporting to the Program Director, they will be a valued thought partner and a representative of RAW’s culture.
The Expressive Art Therapist will show a demonstrated commitment to the value of diversity, equity, inclusion & justice, and will embrace the importance of these initiatives throughout the organization. Resourceful and collaborative, the therapist will be people oriented and bring a growth mindset with an eye on how RAW can continue to have the greatest impact.
Roles and Responsibilities
Visual Arts Program Management:
- Develops and delivers a comprehensive visual -arts curriculum rooted in art therapy and utilizes visual and expressive arts including but not limited to drawing, painting, and sculpting.
- Develops, organizes, and facilitates visual arts groups with the purpose of leading young people through the creation of visual arts projects.
- Develops innovative & high-quality art concepts appropriate for group sessions.
- Builds and maintains meaningful relationships with youth, providing artistic and emotional support.
- Creates a safe, supportive, inclusive, and fun environment for youth.
- Exhibits artwork of youth within and outside of RAW, contract sites, or in the community, as opportunities arise.
- Communicates and manages overall visual arts programmatic & group goals and objectives, key milestones and outcomes.
- Provides project management of visual arts programs and program events.
- Manages assigned program budgets, resource allocation (people, materials, places, community partners, technology), and deliverables.
- Develops and maintains professional, informed working relationships with staff, participants, community members, and relevant stakeholders.
- Develops, organizes, and facilitates or co-facilitates discussion groups, ongoing arts-based workshops, exhibits, field trips, and other special events (in conjunction with other team members).
- Attends weekly program meetings, as scheduled.
Social-emotional & trauma informed youth development:
- Develops, assesses and adjusts the visual-arts programming’s social-emotional curriculum on an annual basis, and ensures the consistency of its delivery.
- Assesses groups needs and adjusts group social-emotional curriculum based on the needs of the group participants.
- Consistently interacts with our youth and their families by using the principles of Trauma Responsive Care.
- Confers with Program Director and Sr. Expressive Arts Therapist to address any additional participants’ needs to develop, coordinate, or integrate interventions that will have the greatest benefit toward achieving support for participants.
- Observes youth reactions, progress, or other outcomes related to art therapy and communicates with the Program Team to ensure continuity of care.
- Attends related training(s) as needed.
- Produces timely and detailed evaluations of the visual arts groups’ impact for reporting and securing additional funding.
- Oversees the daily, weekly, quarterly, and annual documentation and evaluation of groups. ● Produces writing, photographs, video, and other public-facing documentation, and participates in occasional meetings/events (such as site visits) in support of the development team.
- Effectively uses the Salesforce database and other tools for tracking youth metrics & data related to youth development.
- Other duties as assigned.
The Expressive Art Therapist will be a professional with strong experience developing and delivering a comprehensive visual-arts curriculum rooted in art therapy and utilizing visual and expressive arts. They will possess a high level of emotional intelligence (self-awareness, empathy, and social skills). They will have the ability to work independently, prioritize projects and tasks, multi-task, and participate as an effective team member. They will bring a demonstrated commitment to the values of diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice.
Other key competencies include:
- Strong organizational and time-management skills, with the ability to set priorities and limits in order to accomplish tasks, meet deadlines, and adapt to changing priorities.
- Strong team player, continually open to learning and teaching new skills and techniques.
- Strategic thinker with the ability to take a long-term, thoughtful approach to achieving visual-arts based goals.
- Competence in electronic data entry and information management.
Job Qualifications & Requirements
Qualified applicants must have a Masters in the field of Creative Arts Therapy, with proven experience as follows:
- Minimum of one year experience in creative youth development and/or experience working with youth in a clinical setting with a record of success.
- Proven experience as a visual arts practitioner.
- Fluency in English, with additional languages (Spanish, Khmer) preferred.
Other Work Requirements:
- Regular traveling to the school site and Raw Art Works.
- A valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle.
- Flexible schedule - hours will fluctuate from time to time based on the demands of the work.
- Work conditions may include:
- Making and receiving regular phone calls and texts from participants & family members.
- Occasionally participating in public gatherings.
- Speaking and appearing publicly on behalf of the organization.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is targeted at $50,000-$70,000, based on the candidate’s relevant experience. This range falls within our established salary bands for this position. RAW provides a competitive salary and benefits package, including a generous paid time off and holiday schedule, including your birthday off!
Raw Art Works is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively seeks a diverse staff that is reflective of the community it serves. Employment is based upon personal capabilities and qualifications without discrimination based on race, color, religion, creed, sec, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, citizenship status, or any other protected characteristic as established by law.
How to Apply
To Apply: Please submit a resume, cover letter and visual arts portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Expressive Art Therapist.” Applications will be reviewed as they are received.