About Our Organization
The Gadsden Cultural Arts Foundation, Inc. (GCAF) is a 501(c)3 that works to improve the quality of life of the people of northeast Alabama through cultural opportunities. The Mary G. Hardin Center for Cultural Arts serves as the central administrative hub of the Foundation’s projects. The Hardin Center is home to fine art exhibitions from nationally-touring artists. The Hardin Center’s performance series Cultural Arts Presents, hosts concerts, lectures, and other live audience events throughout the year. Imagination Place Children’s Museum engages children and their caregivers in experiential play through a child-sized town called Kidstown USA. Imagination Place also has a changing exhibits gallery to host nationally-touring children’s exhibits. Imagination Place provides special programing both to museum visitors and in schools throughout the region with STEAM-based educational programs. The Gadsden Community School for the Arts (GCSA) provides weekly instruction in music and visual arts to both adults and children and has a robust scholarship program. The Downtown Dance Conservatory (DDC) instructs over 500 students in classical and contemporary ballet at the primary to pre-professional level. The Etowah Youth Orchestras (EYO) include three after-school ensembles of young musicians from across the region. The EYO also provides in-school instruction in the local school systems. Through partnerships with the City of Gadsden, other arts organizations, and local non-profits, the GCAF seeks to enhance the region through the arts.
The Executive Director is the key management leader of GCAF. The Executive Director is responsible for overseeing the administration, programs and strategic plan of the organization. Other key duties include fundraising, marketing, and community outreach. The position reports directly to the Board of Directors.
1) Board Governance: Works with board in order to fulfill the organization mission.
- Responsible for leading the GCAF in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission as defined by the Board of Directors.
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
2) Financial Performance and Viability: Develops resources to ensure the financial health of the organization.
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of GCAF to include submission to the Board of a proposed annual budget, monthly financial statements and an annual audit, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization.
- Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
- Responsible for a robust donor relations program, fundraising, grant writing and developing other resources necessary to support the GCAF mission.
3) Organization Mission and Strategy: Works with board and staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning and community outreach.
- Responsible for the enhancement of the GCAF image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with other professional, civic and private organizations.
4) Organization Operations. Oversees and implements available resources to ensure that the operations of the organization are appropriate.
- Responsible for effective administration of the GCAF operations.
- Responsible for the hiring and retention of competent, qualified staff.
- Responsible for signing all notes, agreements, and other instruments made and entered into and on behalf of the organization.
Minimum Professional Qualifications:
- A bachelor’s degree
- Transparent and high integrity leadership
- Ten or more years management experience; nonprofit and cultural arts background preferred.
- Experience in managing budgets of approximately $2,000,000.
- Solid, hands-on, budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making and reporting
- Strong organizational abilities including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation
- Ability to convey an accurate vision of the GCAF strategic plan to staff, board, volunteers and donors
- Experience with fundraising strategies, grant writing and donor relations unique to nonprofit sector
- Skills to collaborate with and motivate board members and other volunteers
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to interface and engage diverse volunteer and donor groups
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff
- Strong public speaking ability
- Experience in the following software programs is preferred: Exceed Beyond from Arreva, Qgiv, Sage 50 Accounting, WordPress, Crescendo, Square and all social media outlets
Specific Job Responsibilities:
- Planning and operation of annual budget.
- Establishing employment and administrative policies and procedures for all functions and for the day-to-day operation of the nonprofit.
- Serving as the GCAF primary spokesperson to the organization’s constituents, the media and the general public.
- Establish and maintain relationships with various organizations throughout the state and utilize those relationships to strategically enhance the GCAF mission.
- Report to and work closely with the Board of Directors to seek their involvement in policy decisions, fundraising and to increase the overall visibility of GCAF throughout the State.
- Supervise, collaborate with organization staff.
- Strategic planning and implementation.
- Oversee organization Board and committee meetings.
- Oversee marketing and other communications efforts.
- Review and approve contracts for services.
- Other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
How to Apply
Salary commensurate with experience and other qualifications ($70,000-$95,000). Quality benefits package includes health and PTO.
Submit a cover letter and resume by mail, postmarked by July 31st, 2019 to:
Kay Moore, GCAF Treasurer
P. O. Box 8501
Gadsden, AL 35902-8501
No emails or phone calls please.
The Gadsden Cultural Arts Foundation is an Equal Opportunity employer. Candidates are chosen on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status or sexual orientation, in accordance with federal, state and local law.