About Our Organization
Imagination Stage was founded as Bethesda Academy of Performing Arts in 1979, responding to the urgent need for arts education for young people. The company was renamed Imagination Stage in 2001 and has grown from a handful of children in a single classroom to a full-spectrum theatre arts organization, with theatre productions by professional actors and artists. Imagination Stage commissions new works for children every year. These productions have been recognized with awards and productions by other companies around the world. Imagination Stage empowers ALL young people to discover their voice and identity through performing arts education and professional theatre.
Imagination Stage is seeking an Education Coordinator. The Education Coordinator works closely with the School Partnerships Manager as well as the entire Education Team in order to grow new initiatives and educational partnerships in Montgomery County and the District of Columbia. Candidates should possess strong curriculum writing skills as well as experience with program oversight. Candidates must also be willing to have a flexible work schedule.
Key areas of responsibility include Camp Management, Teaching & Mentoring, School Partnership Coordination, Theatre for Change Tour Coordination, and Camp Management.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Class Management, Teaching and Mentoring
- Teaches approx. four hours of classes each week during each semester
- Mentors teaching artists and answers parent calls for onsite classes for students in our Early Childhood program (Age 1-5)
- Works with the School Partnerships Manager and the Director of Education to plan and implement a roster of Fall, Spring, and Summer classes for preschool children, ages 12 months to 5 years. Duties include recruiting new teaching artists, supervising and training faculty, creating and overseeing a professional development program for faculty, overseeing classes, and evaluating faculty performance. Planning early childhood curriculum with an eye to specific intersections between class content and early childhood theatre programming such as Saturday Song Circle and Sunday Funday workshops.
- Serves as the onsite weekend manager for Sunday classes
School Partnership Coordination
- Coordinate our after school classes with DC and Maryland partner schools. Create room reservations, maintain registration documents and contracts, track payments, and staff with appropriate faculty
- Create attendance sheets, welcome letters, sharing reminders, and logistic sheets for after school classes. Create and send invoices to school partners.
- Help with communication and problem solving for last minute issues or emergencies that come up with after school classes (teacher running late, finding substitute teachers, etc.)
- Create dynamic new offerings for out of school time program partners and oversee curriculum
- Represent Imagination Stage at SAI content briefings when possible, and co-coordinate SAI pre-show 15 minute workshops for field trip groups, in collaboration with Lerner production staff as needed
- Contribute to the development of the Theater Arts Learning Guide and video updates for DCPS and MCPS grade 3 students in partnership with school system administrative leaders
- Oversee Title I post-show performance discussions and pre-show workshops on a daily basis during the Learning through Theatre program
- Act as liaison between Imagination Stage and contractors/providers, including communicating scheduling and content information, maintaining electronic files, and serving as a point of contact for questions
- Aid in the development of curriculum for our arts-integrated school residency programs
- Create learning guide materials for our Theatre for the Very Young and our Lerner productions. These are curricular materials aimed towards visiting field trip group leaders. Utilize these activities to help create interactive lobby displays in partnership with our marketing department.
Theatre for Change Tour Coordinator
- Schedule performances of our outreach touring productions, Oyeme and 10 Seconds, to local middle and high schools as well as community groups
- Coordinate the schedule and needs with the TfC production stage manager
- Develop relationships with new community groups and schools
- Assist in post-show audience engagement activity management
- Serve as a co-camp manager for our weekly summer camps
- Create paperwork (schedules, class lists, timesheets, etc) for faculty and staff and pull camper forms from Tessitura
- Email parents welcome letters, sharing reminders, and answer questions
- Maintain faculty coordination, assign volunteers for weekly check-in and sharings
- Follow procedures designated by the Maryland Dept of Health and Hygiene and maintain proper records for our annual audit
Job Qualifications & Requirements
Education, Skills, and/or Experience:
- BA or BFA (in Theatre or Education preferred)
- Teaching experience for a variety of ages
- Understanding of Common Core and experience working with public school teachers
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Proven administrative and organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with students, parents, faculty, and educational communities
- Ability to work independently and with initiative
- Ability to develop new lines of business and to build on existing ones
- Clear understanding of—and passionate commitment to—theatre and theatre education opportunities for all children
- Ability to work a Sunday through Thursday schedule during the Fall and Spring semesters
- Patience, flexibility with work schedule, empathy, and a sense of humor
- Experience utilizing Tessitura is a plus
Imagination Stage celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive workplace that values members of our whole community. We strongly encourage applicants from all backgrounds to apply.
Please Note: Due to the ongoing Covid-19 situation, telework is encouraged in the short term and work for this position can be completed remotely until it is safe to re-open our building to the public and return to working in the office.
How to Apply
For a detailed job description and information on how to apply, please visit our website at: https://imaginationstage.org/about-us/work-with-us/employment-opportunities/
This position has an ideal start date of January 2021.