About Our Organization
The mission of RISD (pronounced “RIZ-dee”), through its college and museum, is to educate students and the public in the creation and appreciation of works of art and design, to discover and transmit knowledge and to make lasting contributions to a global society through critical thinking, scholarship and innovation. Our immersive model of art and design education emphasizes robust liberal arts studies and conceptually driven studio-based learning in full-time bachelor's and master's degree programs across 19 majors. RISD's exceptional faculty foster student growth and development in extensive specialized facilities, enabling students to become confident, cross-disciplinary thinkers and nimble problem-solvers ready to confront the complexities of global practice in the 21st century. Nearly 30,000 alumni worldwide testify to the impact of a RISD education, exemplifying the vital role artists and designers play in defining global innovation. Founded in 1877, RISD and the RISD Museum help make Providence, RI among the most culturally active and creative cities in the region. For more information, visit risd.edu and our.risd.edu.
Rhode Island School of Design seeks a Director, CE Program Planning + Development to join RISD Continuing Education (CE). This position will strive to inspire CE staff in cultivating a strategic vision for growth and development of all CE programs. At the direction of the Executive Director, the Director will actively engage in the formulation and articulation of a programmatic strategic plan for the division within the context of RISD’s new strategic plan: NEXT: RISD 2020-2027.
The Director, CE Program Planning + Development establishes, recommends, and implements, as approved, the strategic programmatic plan for future growth. This role is responsible for driving the creation, development, and execution of a diverse offering of programs that enhance the visibility of RISD CE. Predicated in educational innovation and driven to engaging new and diverse markets advances, the Director will enhance and expand the reach and impact of RISD CE locally, regionally, and internationally.
Additionally, the Director plans, coordinates, monitors, evaluates, and supervises all aspects of courses and programs to ensure that curriculum standards and best practices of educational delivery are maintained and that all courses and programs run smoothly. This position approves of all related course offerings and sets standards for engaging potential instructors; analyzes tuition, competition, and program expenses; suggests marketing initiatives; and supports and supervises the CE programming staff. The Director for CE Program Planning + Development will work on strategic initiatives as directed, alongside other RISD staff.
- Lead the strategic creation and growth of all CE programs. Develop new courses and programs that leverage RISD’s core strengths, reputation, and resources to competitively be a market leader, both domestically and abroad.
- Develop, recommend, and implement a strategic plan for programmatic growth in CE. Assess market demands and assist with business plans, and steward strategic programs.
- Ensure academic integrity and high standards of all programs by guiding Program Managers and the Assistant Director of Academic Advising to ensure that the standards and obligations of all programs are achieved. Works strategically to ensure programmatic integrity.
- Hire, train, supervise, evaluate, and lead the CE programming staff. Holds decision authority with regard to programmatic matters including but not limited to: hiring, negotiating space, equipment needs, technology, and materials, as well as other necessary programmatic matters. Directs the program planning cycle and processes, upholding deadlines and standards as they pertain to other departmental partners. Ensures continuity and communication of the process and expectations throughout the department.
- Responsible for programmatic policy and procedure development including but not limited to: academic misconduct, certificate graduation guidelines, and grade appeals. Oversees and resolves issues in the classroom as it relates to instructor, programmatic, or curricular integrity.
- Identifies, builds, and stewards relationships with a variety of constituents to identify educational needs and opportunities of multiple sectors and organizations. Utilizes internal RISD partners in order to build relationships and understand the needs of potential students.
- Leads CE’s Planning and Events Manager and Computer Laboratory Technician in order to support the programming staff to ensure all logistical and programmatic needs are met for planned courses, events, and programs.
- Manage the training, orientation, evaluation, review and reappointment, and professional development of associated program instructors. Responsible for ensuring instructor and student handbooks are up-to-date, accurate, and aligned to CE mission and operational integrity.
- Provides input and content to the Associate Director of Marketing to assist with the development of all marketing and promotional materials including the website. Makes suggestions for revising current marketing initiatives and generating new ones.
- Develops and implements systems to assess the effectiveness of all programs, advising the Executive Director on such efforts through the promulgation of written recommendations, action plans, and reports. Contributes to the establishment of annual goals, objectives, and action plans for the entire Continuing Education Division. Ensures all accreditation standards are met across all programs. Ensures that programmatic practices meet institutional policy and standards.
Job Qualifications & Requirements
- MA/MFA preferred in art and design, arts management, education.
- Five to seven years previous experience in planning, developing and implementing education programs, with at least 3 years supervising, leading, mentoring, or guiding others.
- Prior arts administration experience; proven leadership experience developing and translating a strategic vision into reality in an arts or educational environment and demonstrated ability to deliver comprehensive, cutting edge, innovative programming.
- Knowledge and understanding of educational markets and trends in an effort to determine viability of programs.
- Demonstrate a willingness to rethink the direction and thrust of all programs. Evidence of the ability to work effectively with ethnically and culturally diverse communities. Ability to identify and steward relationships which result in high impact outcomes.
How to Apply
Apply online: https://risd.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/RISD/job/Providence/Director--CE-Program-Planning---Development_R-00460