About Our Organization
Founded in 1897 as a formal music conservatory serving 200 students, the Brooklyn Conservatory of Music now serves more than 15,000 individuals annually and collaborates with more than 50 organizations including schools, and youth, social service and senior centers, as well other arts and culture organizations and city agencies, to provide music instruction, music therapy, and performances in Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island and Manhattan.
Mission: The Brooklyn Conservatory of Music: transforming lives and building community through the expressive, educational and therapeutic powers of music.
Core Values: BKCM is committed to providing a nurturing environment that promotes and personifies excellence, collaboration, and community for individuals engaged in performing and music study.
The Brooklyn Conservatory of Music (BKCM) is a non-profit community music school based in Brooklyn, NY. We provide high quality music education and music therapy to more than 7,000 New Yorkers out of our home in Park Slope, and at more than 70 public schools, social service organizations, senior centers, homeless shelters in all five boroughs of New York City. We operate on a budget of approximately $4 mm. We raised approximately $1 - $1.5 mm annually from private individuals, corporations, foundations and local and state government. For more information on the Conservatory you are encouraged to visit our web site: www.bkcm.org
The Conservatory is seeking an experienced Development Associate to support all aspects of BKCM’s fundraising activities with a focus on donor cultivation strategy, individual giving and special events management. The Development Associate reports directly to the Executive Director and is part of a five-person Marketing and Development team.
Candidates should possess creativity, initiative, strong interpersonal / relationship building skills, excellent organizational / project management skills and aptitude with Salesforce. This is a full-time position reporting to the Executive Director with a $40,000-$50,000 salary range + benefits commensurate with experience.
- Develop, execute and support all facets of BKCM’s annual fundraising strategy with innovative, relevant, and meaningful development strategies, communications, promotions, and special events.
- Cultivate, manage and steward our portfolio of 500+ individual donors, including:
- Identify and research and engage prospective individual donors
- Grow and build our relationships with existing individual donors
- Process, track, manage and maintain critical information on individual donors and donations. The Conservatory uses Salesforce as its donor management platform so experience with Salesforce is beneficial.
- Conceive, plan, and throw special events including BKCM’s signature fundraising events as well as various smaller individual and community building events.
- Manage the Conservatory’s (calendar) year-end appeal
- Support the fundraising efforts and special initiatives of the Board of Trustees
- Manage development interns as needed.
- Other duties, as assigned.
Required Experience and Schools
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field required
- Three years’ experience in a development or marketing capacity with demonstrated results
- Dynamic and engaging individual with a strong sense of leadership, relationship cultivation, and management
- Demonstrated strategic, analytic, conceptual, planning, and partnership-building abilities
- Special event coordination / management experience
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Strong project management skills with demonstrated ability to multi-task and set priorities within tight timelines and high expectations
- Passion for music and/or arts education a plus
How to Apply
To apply, please submit resume and cover letter to Michaela.Mechlovitz@BKCM.org by Friday, January, 18.
BKCM is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate due to age, sex, religion, race, color, national origin, disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other factor prohibited by law.