About Our Organization
Founded in 1937, the National Guild strives to ensure all people have opportunities to maximize their creative potential by developing leaders, strengthening organizations, and advocating for community arts education. The Guild serves a national network of neighborhood schools of the arts, arts and cultural centers, arts education divisions of universities, theater and dance companies; museums, and more. Our members serve 2.5 million students each year, employ 16,000 teaching artists, and reach an additional 8 million people through performances and exhibits. The Guild has an annual operating budget of approximately $2 million.
The National Guild for Community Arts Education (“Guild”) seeks a creative, intelligent, and skilled professional to join a dynamic team at an exciting moment of growth. The Guild is looking for someone who is a life-long learner, possesses a keen intellect and tenacious spirit and shares our belief in the transformational power of creativity, equity, leadership, and community. The Communications Manager will have an opportunity to work with a vibrant and creative staff and board, make a real impact on a growing organization, and support arts education and arts educators across the nation.
The Communications Manager is responsible for managing key Guild initiatives, including:
- Expanding the reach of the Guild and contributing to the advancement of community arts education;
- Marketing Guild membership and programs to a widening range of constituents
- Creating appeals, campaigns, and solicitation materials to increase support
The Communications Manager is a full-time, exempt employee reporting to the Chief Operating Officer (COO). With oversight from the COO and working in close collaboration with the program team, the position manages a broad range of activities related to marketing and communications for the organization.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Increase public visibility of the National Guild for Community Arts Education
- Grow the Guild’s online and social media presence using industry-standard tools and strategies
- Manage and grow website traffic using SEO, google ad grants, and other strategies; provide regular website usage reports to the program team
- Create compelling content for website, social media platforms, and email campaigns
- Develop strategy to grow the visibility of Guild members and the field of community arts ed
- Manage the Guild’s public relations strategies, work with strategic and media partners to advocate for the Guild and the field of community arts education
- Market Guild initiatives, programs, products and services to increase public participation
- Develop annual marketing and follow-up activity plans for increasing broader and more diverse participation in and public awareness of Guild programs/services
- Work to achieve all traffic, engagement, and participation goals for Guild programs
- Work closely with the program team to launch/market new program initiatives
- Market Guild membership to potential new and current/lapsed members considering renewal
- Develop strategy for successfully marketing value and benefits of membership
- Support evolution of membership model as recommended by Guild’s Membership Task Force
- Support fundraising efforts in collaboration with the Development Manager
- Develop and manage communications for fundraising campaigns and cultivation events
- Collaborate with the Development Manager to ensure strong design of stewardship materials
- Solicit and secure corporate sponsorships, exhibitorships, and advertisements; meet associated revenue goals for the annual conference
- Manage the Guild’s corporate brand
- Ensure consistency of style, language, and look and feel across all Guild communications
- Develop branded that content that effectively communicates the Guild’s mission and values
- Work with the Information Resources Manager to ensure the Guild’s website, social media presence, and all marketing and communications materials are accurate and current
- At least 2 years communications/marketing experience, preferably arts, culture and/or education sector
- Exceptional verbal/interpersonal communication skills; Effective writing skills; detail-oriented
- Ability to produce content at a fast pace, manage multiple projects and relationships and deliver an impeccable work product while adapting to frequent, rapid changes
- Fluency with digital marketing tools, including basic web development (using Kentico and some html), social media platforms, Search Engine Optimization, digital advertising (social, search, etc.)
- Fluency with design software (Adobe Creative Suite) and CRM databases (Salesforce); previous design experience a plus
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
How to Apply
To be considered for the position, please email the items below in one PDF-formatted file with your name as the filename to email@example.com. Please include “Communications Manager” as the email subject.
- A résumé no longer than two pages outlining your educational and professional experience.
- A substantive cover letter no longer than two pages including the following information: your interest in the position, the organization, and why you are excited to support the mission of the Guild. Please also be sure to include 1. Where you found the position listed, 2. The date you are available to start, and 3. Contact information for three professional references.
- Two contrasting writing samples that demonstrate your breadth and flexibility as a writer, as well as your ability to be concise (neither sample longer than 2 pages; excerpts are acceptable)
Incomplete submissions will not be considered nor will submissions sent via postal mail or fax. No calls please. Prospective applicants are strongly encouraged to review our website at www.nationalguild.org prior to submitting materials for consideration. Applicants will be considered on a rolling basis.
The Guild is dedicated to building a racially, ethnically, and culturally diverse and pluralistic team committed to working in and supporting multicultural communities across the country. We strongly encourage applicants from LGBTQ and underrepresented communities to apply.
Salary is commensurate with experience. Benefits include paid vacation, health and dental insurance, and a retirement savings matching program.
The National Guild is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified candidates will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by the law.