About Our Organization
BROOKLYN YOUTH CHORUS is a Grammy Award-winning collective of young voices led by visionary Founder & Artistic Director Dianne Berkun Menaker. The Chorus has collaborated with an impressive range of organizations and artists, this season alone with the New York Philharmonic, The National, Wye Oak, International Contemporary Ensemble, and in previous seasons with Los Angeles Philharmonic, London Symphony Orchestra, Barbra Streisand, Arcade Fire, Sir Elton John, and Grizzly Bear. Recordings of the Chorus have been featured in major motion pictures, commercials, and live events, including several tracks in The National's new concept album I Am Easy To Find, a new work by Radiohead’s Thom Yorke for rag & bone’s Spring 2016 collection, Chanel's 2019 Capsule campaign featuring Pharrell Williams, and Beyoncé and Jay-Z’s OTR II World Tour. This season its original production Silent Voices: Lovestate premieres Off-Broadway at The New Victory Theater. The Chorus has released two albums through New Amsterdam Records—Silent Voices (2018) and Black Mountain Songs (2017). Founded in 1992, the Chorus currently serves more than 700 students in its core after-school and public-school outreach programs. The Chorus’s professional faculty teach a wide range of repertoire and styles using Dianne Berkun Menaker’s proven Cross-Choral Training® method. Classes take place at their Cobble Hill headquarters and neighborhood locations throughout Brooklyn.
Brooklyn Youth Chorus seeks a Part-Time Chorus Conductor Teaching Artist to conduct a weekly Saturday training division class starting immediately and a Part-Time Chorus Conductor Teaching Artist or Artists to lead in-school programming in the Spring semester.
Teaching Artists will work with the artistic team to create and produce curriculum, choose repertoire, assess new and current students, and lead rehearsals and performances. These positions will include training with Brooklyn Youth Chorus Founder and Artistic Director, Dianne Berkun Menaker in the Cross-Choral Training Ⓡ pedagogy. The position will run during the September 2019 to May 2020 season with the potential to expand into additional classes and levels in future years.
WEEKLY TRAINING DIVISION SCHEDULE
Saturdays, 2:00 to 4:00 pm Brooklyn Youth Chorus HQ (179 Pacific Street)
Ages: 10 to 12
Our Season runs from Sept. 7, 2019 through May 9, 2020 with school-wide performances December 14-15, 2019 and May 16, 2020. This position will start mid-season.
IN SCHOOL SCHEDULE Spring 2020, Dates and Times TBD
Applicants may apply for the Saturday conducting position, our Spring in-school programs, or both. Please indicate in the application which programs you are interested in and potentially available to teach.
- Bachelor’s degree with an emphasis in conducting, vocal performance, or music education
- Minimum of 2-3 years of experience conducting and teaching
- Knowledge of functional voice training pedagogy
- Knowledge of and experience with basic solfege and music literacy training methods
- Knowledge of and competence in conducting several styles of music ● Basic piano competency preferred
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with a small program team
- Availability to work occasional evenings and weekends
- Willingness to learn Brooklyn Youth Chorus’ proprietary and trademarked Cross-Choral Training Method
How to Apply
Please submit an online application by clicking the following link: https://form.jotform.com/92745457531160
Via the above link, applicants are asked to submit:
1. Cover letter
3. Video Samples (YouTube or Vimeo preferred) of applicant conducting two stylistically contrasting choral pieces
4. Saturday availability including time available and potential conflicts (if possible please include additional availability for the 2019-2020 season including days of the week and available work hours)
5. Two professional references (include name, phone number, email, and relationship) Only candidates invited to interview will be contacted. No calls, please. EOE.