2020 Conference in NYC
The National Guild’s 83rd Annual Conference for Community Arts Education will be in New York City in November 2020! The Conference will be held in community sites across the metro area, centering the organizations, artists, neighborhoods, and spaces that make the NYC creative ecology uniquely vibrant.
The 5x5 Series: Engaging and Enriching the NYC Arts Education Community
Be part of shaping this extraordinary event! Between October 2019 and April 2020, the Guild will be presenting the 5X5 Series—five, full-day convenings in five boroughs focused on these key topics: Arts in Education, Creative Youth Development, Racial Equity and Social Justice, Teaching Artist Development, and Creative Aging. Each convening will include a 3-hour professional development workshop, networking lunch, and a town-hall style planning conversation as the series builds toward a collective vision for the Conference.
Interested in engaging with the 5x5 series as a host organization or planning committee member? See below for information and a link to submit your info.
How can you get involved?
The 5x5 Series, October 2019–April 2020, is an opportunity for learning and collective visioning leading up the 2020 Conference for Community Arts Education next Fall in NYC. We are inviting community arts education organizations and practitioners to get involved with the series starting this July:
- Host a 5x5 convening at your organization—The five institutes leading up to the 2020 Conference will take place at community arts organizations all throughout New York City. We are looking to partner with and provide an honorarium to host sites that would be interested in contributing space and program support. Host sites should be deeply embedded in the communities that they serve with a commitment to social justice and racial equity. The general responsibilities of host organizations include:
- Providing space for up to 100 arts ed stakeholders for one 5x5 institute
- With Guild support, chairing the planning committee that will shape the institute program
- Engaging local stakeholders to participate
- Join a Planning Committee—Each of the five institutes will be supported by a planning committee of up to 12 NYC-based arts education leaders. Planning committee members will receive a discount on 2020 Conference registration. The committee will convene regularly via video chat starting four months prior to the program date. Responsibilities of committee members include:
- Committing to regular planning meetings either on a video chat platform or in person
- Sharing your expertise in the institute's focus area in order to shape a program that is engaging, creative, and equitable
- Supporting the marketing of the institute as well as the dissemination of institute resources after the event
When is each 5x5 institute?
We're kicking things off in the Bronx on Tuesday, November 19th, 2019.
During the morning, we will be hosted by Casita Maria and will be discussing Creative Aging in the New York Metro Area. This event is invite only and is specifically for experience practitioners, funders and leaders; more details about the event can be found here.
That afternoon, we will move over to the Bronx Music Heritage Center for a town hall-style conversation and collaborative visioning. This townhall is free and open to all Bronx community arts education leaders and stakeholders and will address common challenges and opportunities among the field, including leadership development, racial equity, arts education partnerships, and more.
While the rest of the timeline is still tentative, below are approximate institute dates. Final program timeline will be adapted in concert with host organizations.
2/20: Teaching Artist Development
3/20: Racial Equity and Social Justice
4/20: Creative Youth Development
5/20: Arts in Education